Last modified February 23, 2021
- Information We Collect
We collect information from You when You use the Website, contact or interact with us, and voluntarily provide us with Your comments and other content in connection with using the Website.
When You contact us, We may collect Your first name, last name, company or institution, email address, the subject of Your message, and the contents of Your message.
When You sign up for the Ophthalmology Foundation newsletter, We collect Your full name and email address.
When You apply to volunteer, We may collect Your email address and the contents of Your message.
When You make a donation, We may collect Your donation amount, information related to whether this is a recurring gift, whether You would like to direct Your donation to a specific program, whether You would like to make this gift in honor of someone, and Your billing information (including first name, last name, email address, telephone number, billing address, mailing address, credit card number, expiration date, CVC, cardholder name, and whether You would like to sign up for email updates.
We may also collect information about you from other third-party sources, including social media companies. The Website provides links to our Facebook and LinkedIn pages. If You connect with these websites through the Website, We may receive personal information about You, including information related to actions You take within social plugins, such as share buttons.
We automatically collect information regarding each user of our Website, including Your IP address, the domain name of Your Internet service provider, the Website features You use and the time of Your use, Your device information (e.g., device model and operating system version), and aggregated information that cannot be used to specifically identify You when You use the Website. Additional information collected is described in the Analytics and Cookies sections below.
- How We Use Your Information
We use the information that We collect for several purposes, including:
- The purposes for which You provided it;
- To provide information and respond to requests for services;
- To process and respond to inquiries and comments;
- To process payment transactions (Your information will be used to submit Your payment information to our payment processor);
- To display relevant advertising;
- To administer, operate, and improve the Website;
- To personalize and enhance Your experience using the Website;
- To send periodic emails. If You choose, the email address You provide may be used to send You occasional news, updates, related product or service information, etc. Note: If at any time You would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, We include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email;
- To generate and review reports and data about our user base and Website usage patterns;
- To analyze the accuracy, effectiveness, usability, or popularity of the Website;
- To compile aggregate data for internal and external business purposes;
- To prevent fraud and abuse of the Website and to otherwise protect users and visitors and our business;
- To assist law enforcement and respond to subpoenas; and
- Legal Bases for Processing Your Information (For Users in EEA and UK)
Performance of a contract
The use of Your personal information may be necessary to perform the agreement You have with Us to provide products and services. Here are some examples: to process your donations and to respond to Your requests.
We may use Your personal information for our legitimate interests. For example, We rely on our legitimate interest to administer, analyze, and improve our content, to operate our business, including through the use of service providers and subcontractors (who may have access to Your data – see further information under the section How Your Information is Disclosed), to send You notifications about our services, for archiving, records keeping, statistical and analytical purposes, or to use Your personal information for administrative, fraud detection, audit, training, security, or legal purposes.
Prior to accessing this site and providing Your personal data, You may have provided Your informed consent to the collection and use of certain personal data. You are free to withdraw Your consent at any time, subject to the Your Choices Regarding Your Information section below and the preceding Legal Bases for Processing Your Information in this Section.
Compliance with legal obligations
We may use Your personal information to comply with legal obligations to which We are subject, including to comply with legal process.
Performance of a task carried out in the public interest
We may use Your personal information to perform a task in the public interest.
- How Your Information is Disclosed
- Facebook. By clicking on the Facebook button on the Website, You will be automatically transported to the official Facebook Page for Ophthalmology Foundation, https://www.facebook.com/Ophthalmology-Foundation-107287054666506.
- LinkedIn. By clicking on the LinkedIn button on the Website, You will be automatically transported to the official LinkedIn Page for Ophthalmology Foundation, https://www.linkedin.com/company/ophthalmology-foundation.
- Business Changes. If We become involved in a merger, acquisition, sale of assets, joint venture, securities offering, bankruptcy, reorganization, liquidation, dissolution, or other transaction, or if the ownership of all or substantially all of our business otherwise changes, We may transfer Your information to a third party or parties in connection therewith.
- Investigations and Law. We may disclose information about You to third parties if We believe that such disclosure is necessary to:
- Comply with the law or guidance or cooperate with government or law enforcement officials or private parties;
- Investigate, prevent, or take action regarding suspected illegal activities, suspected fraud, the rights, reputation, safety, and property of us, users, or others, or violations of our policies or other agreements with us;
- Respond to claims and legal process (for example, subpoenas); and/or
- Protect against legal liability.
- Aggregated Information. We may share aggregated information relating to users of the Website with affiliated or unaffiliated third parties. This aggregated information does not contain personal information about any user.
We may deliver advertisements to You, including through the use of Google Analytics Advertising Features. We may also work with third-party advertising companies that help deliver these advertisements. To learn more about third-party online advertising and to opt out of certain types of advertising, please see: http://optout.networkadvertising.org/?c=1.
- Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
Cookies are small files that are transferred to and stored on Your computer through Your Web browser (if You allow it) that enable the website’s or service provider’s system to recognize Your browser and capture and remember certain information. You can instruct Your browser to stop accepting cookies. But, if You do not accept cookies, You may not be able to use all portions of all functionality of the Website.
- Persistent cookies remain on the visitor’s computer after the browser has been closed.
- Session cookies exist only during a visitor’s online session and disappear from the visitor’s computer when he/she closes the browser software.
Flash cookies (also known as local shared objects) are data files that can be created on Your computer by the websites You visit, and are a way for websites to store information for later use. Flash cookies are stored in different parts of Your computer from ordinary browser cookies. You can disable the storage of flash cookies. For additional information about managing and disabling flash cookies, please visit: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html.
Web beacons are small strings of code that provide a method for delivering a graphic image on a web page or in an email message for the purpose of transferring data. You can disable the ability of web beacons to capture information by blocking cookies.
We implement a variety of security measures to protect the safety of Your personal information when You enter, submit, or access Your personal information. Please keep Your account password secure to help ensure the safety of Your personal information.
While We take reasonable measures to protect the information You submit via the Website against loss, theft, and unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification, We cannot guarantee its absolute security. No Internet, email, or mobile application transmission is ever fully secure or error free. Email or other messages sent through the Website may not be secure. You should use caution whenever submitting information through the Website and take special care in deciding with which information You provide us.
We cannot guarantee that transmissions of Your personal information will be fully secure and that third parties will never be able to defeat our security measures or the security measures of our partners. WE ASSUME NO LIABILITY FOR DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION DUE TO TRANSMISSION ERRORS, THIRD-PARTY ACCESS, OR CAUSES BEYOND OUR CONTROL.
If you use the Website outside of the United States, You consent to having Your data transferred to the United States.
- Data Retention Policy, Managing Your Information
We will retain Your information for as long as You use the Website and for a reasonable time thereafter. We may maintain anonymized or aggregated data, including usage data, for analytics purposes. We may retain and use Your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and/or for the period required by laws in applicable jurisdictions. Please note that some or all of the information We have collected may be required for the Website to function properly.
- Links to Other Websites or Applications
- Your Choices Regarding Your Information
You have choices regarding the use of information by the Website.
- Changing Your Information – To change Your information, please contact us at email@example.com. If You are unable to get a response via email, please contact us by phone at +1 415 651 2723 or mail us at 2261 Market Street #445San Francisco, CA 94114.
- Withdrawing Consent – If You are an individual residing in the EEA/UK, and You provided Your consent for any particular processing of Your personal information, You have the right to withdraw Your consent to our processing of Your information at any time. You may also request that Your personal information be deleted. See further information under the section EEA/UK Privacy Rights below. This deletion is permanent and Your information cannot be reinstated. To proceed with this request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EEA/UK Privacy Rights
Users based in the EEA or UK have the following legal rights with respect to their information:
- The right to require Ophthalmology Foundation to confirm whether or not their information is being processed, the purpose of any such processing, the recipients of any information that has been disclosed, the period for which their information is to be stored, and whether any automated decision-making processes are used in relation to their information;
- The right to require Ophthalmology Foundation to rectify inaccurate information without undue delay;
- The right to request the erasure of their information. Subject to certain conditions, Ophthalmology Foundation may be required to erase the information in response to such request where:
- the information is no longer necessary in relation to the purpose for which it was collected, such as where a user chooses to terminate his or her use of the Website;
- the processing of the information is based on the user’s consent (and the other circumstances described in the Legal Bases for Processing Your Information and How Your information is Disclosed sections above no longer apply), if the user withdraws his or her consent; or
- the user objects to the processing of his or her information and there are no overriding legitimate grounds for the processing.
- Where Ophthalmology Foundation has disclosed the information of an EEA/UK user to a third party and the user requests the erasure or rectification of the data, Ophthalmology Foundation will take all reasonable steps to inform the third party of such request.
- The right to restrict Ophthalmology Foundation from processing their information in certain circumstances, such as where the accuracy of that information is disputed or an objection has been raised (see below). In such circumstances, Ophthalmology Foundation will only process that information with the express consent of the user, or for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims, or for the protection of the rights of another natural or legal person, or for reasons of important public interest;
- The right to receive their information from Ophthalmology Foundation in a structured, commonly-used and machine-readable format;
- The right to object to the processing of their information by Ophthalmology Foundation where:
- Ophthalmology Foundation has relied on the “legitimate interest” basis for processing that information, in which case We will immediately stop processing the user’s information unless We have compelling legitimate grounds which override the interests, rights, and freedoms of the user; or
- the information is used for direct marketing purposes, in which case We will immediately stop processing the user’s information for such purposes.
- The right to lodge a complaint with the data protection supervisory authority of the EU member state where the user resides.
- The above legal rights are subject to various conditions and exceptions, including where the data is used for statistical or scientific research purposes, and the exercise of the right would prevent such purposes from being attained or would seriously impair their attainment.
- Information Collected From Other Websites and Mobile Applications and Do Not Track Policy
Your browser or device may offer You a “Do Not Track” option, which allows You to signal to operators of websites, web applications, mobile applications, and services (including behavioral advertising services) that You do not wish such operators to track certain of Your online activities over time and/or across different websites or applications. The Website does not support Do Not Track requests at this time, which means that We or our analytics providers or other third parties with which We are working may collect information about Your online activity both during and after Your use of the Website.
The Website is not intended for children under 16 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personal information from an individual under age 16. If You are under the age of 16, please do not submit any personal information through the Website. If You have reason to believe that We may have accidentally received personal information from an individual under age 16, please contact us immediately at email@example.com.
- How to Contact Us
- Your Nevada Privacy Rights
The Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS 603A.300 et seq.) permit a Nevada consumer to direct an operator of an Internet website or online service to refrain from making any sale of any covered information the operator has collected or will collect about that consumer. You may submit a request pursuant to this directive by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will provide further information about how We verify the authenticity of the request and Your identity.
- Your California Privacy Rights
Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code permits California residents to request from a business, with whom the California resident has an established business relationship, certain information about the types of personal information the business has shared with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes, and the names and addresses of the third parties with whom the business has shared such information during the immediately preceding calendar year. You may make one request each year by emailing us at email@example.com, or by writing us at Ophthalmology Foundation, 2214 Market Street #445, San Francisco, CA 94114 USA.